When selling your Meridian, Idaho home, everyone wants to get the highest sales price that they can. Any home you purchase is an investment, and no successful investor is happy to lose money or break even in the end. You want to be able to upgrade with your next home, and aiming for a higher home selling price than what you purchased it for will facilitate that. Increasing your home’s potential value in Meridian, Idaho can be done in a variety of ways and on a pricing scale that ranges from economical to expensive. The things you do to increase home value will depend on how much higher you want your home selling price to be, how much time you have to get the home sold, and how much money you want to or can invest in bringing up your home's value without spending too much.
Fast and Inexpensive
Cleaning up and decluttering is just two of the simplest ways to increase home value, and they are also the most affordable things you can do. Give every room a thorough cleaning, organize the kitchen, bathroom, and home office, and get rid of clutter. Clean, simple and no distractions! You'll need to do that last one before moving, anyway, so carting off Goodwill donations first can help sell your home. According to Consumer Reports, this step alone has the potential of a 3 to 5% return. Also, do some maintenance in the bathroom, like re-grouting and caulking. That step alone can make a bathroom look like new again.
Quick and low-cost ways to boost your home value in Idaho include:
- Power-washing your home’s exterior, walkways, driveways, patios, decks, fences, etc.
- Cleaning up the yard--trimming trees and bushes and landscaping. Re-barking flower beds.
- Cleaning windows, light fixtures, replacing old light bulbs.
- Painting the front door and touchup of exterior and interior paint, especially baseboards.
- Fixing the doorbell or anything else that doesn’t work properly.
A fresh coat of paint is go-to advice most Realtors will tell you really works. If you do the painting yourself, all it will cost is the price of the paint, brushes, and other small odds-and-ends you'll need to do the job which typically saves you half or more over hiring a professional. On the inside, you don't even have to re-paint every room. Give the walls in the living room and bedrooms a good cleaning, and just paint the kitchen and bathroom. Stick to neutral shades such as light yellows, tans, or grays. On the outside, the trim might be the only thing that needs paint but keep that low-key, too.
If your house is a bit outdated and you have a little to spend This Old House lists additional fixes that increase home value and aren't too expensive:
- Updating and upgrading light fixtures
- Replacing broken tiles on the floor and countertops
- Replacing the toilet seat (if not the entire toilet)
Bigger Investments for a Higher Home Selling Price
If you have the time and the funds, you can make a bigger investment in improvements to garner a significantly higher home selling price. Upgrade the HVAC system. Consider "green" elements that will look attractive to buyers such as solar panels to help with energy costs. Install new rain gutters and/or siding. Replace windows and storm doors. Open up the floor plan by knocking out walls that divide but are non-structural.
Other investments that will be worth your while to increase home value in Idaho, according to DIY Network include:
- Instead of repairing flooring, replace it with new carpet, natural wood or engineered floors.
- Remove wallpaper and paneling
- Remodel the attic or basement to increase usable living space
- Redo the kitchen to improve the flow of the workspace and upgrade appliances
Having the right Realtor to help you know what to spend your time and money on can make all the difference in getting a higher home selling price. Stewart Realty has lots of Real Estate Appraisal experience. Let us help you know what to fix and what not to fix.
Ways we can help:
- Free in-home consultation regarding what things you should spend money to repair and what you should leave alone.
- Connect you with reputable, low cost contractors to get your work done correctly and quickly.
- Provide you with an As-Is and an As Repaired market value estimate of your property.
If you're putting a home on the market, give Jeff Stewart at Stewart Realty a call. He has the experience to help you decide on the best way to increase home value and get your house sold quickly. Jeff Stewart, Broker/Owner 208-602-1993 or email@example.com